tfs 2012

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

With  tfs 2012 can this process template work with code review ?

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

The curent process template is TFS 2010 only and will not support Code Review.  I have done the initial work to upgrade it to TFS 2012 and provide support for the additional work item types such as Feedback and Code Review.  However, I need more testing before I will release it as an Alpha.  Depending on my schedule, I am looking to do this sometime at the end of September or first week of October.  Again, it all depens on my day job :).

Thanks

Brian

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Hello,

I just want to chime in that we are also very interested in this template going forward. We wish to upgrade to TFS 2012 in the next few months but very much want this template before we do.

We appreciate your efforts in making this process template and thank you for all the time you have invested in it. You've done a really nice job with it and can't wait to see it in action in 2012.

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Appreciate the kind words but right now, my day job at MS is getting in the way here.  I am not sure exactly when I will get time to focus on this again.  I'm looking now to do an initial alpha release sometime in December 2012 but if I can get to it sooner then I will. 

Thanks for your patience.

Brian

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I completely understand the priorities. If there is anything I can do to help out, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can.

Kind regards

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Hello,

Just wondering if there are still plans to upgrade this template to TFS 2012?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I would be willing to do some work for the 2012 version as well - testing, etc. Our shop is more Waterfall than the other methodology templates, so we're excited about the potential of trying these out.

Day job? What's THAT? ;)

Thank you -

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Hello,

I was too wondering - and hoping - that you would find the time to move this project forward towards 2012 compatibility. Do you have any thoughts about a potential release date?

Needless to say, we appreciate your contribution very much!

Thanks

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Hello Brian,

While I've been hoping you would be able to find the time to upgrade this to TFS 2012, it seems like that may not happen. Just so we can make appropriate plans for our individual shops, are you able to commit to a timeframe for an upgrade or let us know if an upgrade is not planned for the time being?

I completely understand work loads getting in the way for projects like this. And I do appreciate your efforts. But now that we made a commitment in our shop to use the template, we cannot upgrade to TFS 2012 until we have an upgraded template. If we need to change direction and use a different template, we can do that that, but we need to plan for the changes. Just waiting is not a good plan of action.

I do hope all is well with you. Please let us know one way or the other. I am very much hoping for the upgrade...

Thanks Brian
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to take so long to respond back, but one of the benefits of the government shutdown was extra time that I could devote to getting GOVDEV fixed for TFS 2010 as well as the initial cut for TFS 2012 and TFS 2013.

As such, I have set up a public Git repository on the TFS Service and was going to ask the community for support to do the modifications. The URL for the repository is https://tfsmetro.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/GovDev/_git/GovDev.git . Permissions should be set so that you can clone the repository but not do any pushes to it. Please let me know if this is the case :). There is the master branch that contains the initial GovDev for TFS 1.0 code that you can find in CodePlex. I also have separate branches for 2010, 2012, and 2013 that will contain the code for updates and releases. I will add labels to each branch this weekend to indicate the state of the release for each.

I am looking for help in moving this project forward. All who contribute will get credit for the work and I will grant access to the backlog if you seriously want to help. So little "r" me if you are serious. My plan is to be the integrator of changes from the community and I will push changes from my private repository. The way for me to get your changes will be for you to let me do a pull from your public repository once you have something you think is good.

As to the list of work, it is extensive but not....
  1. I want to rework the whole reporting as I have gotten feedback that it is taking a long time for the Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM) report to run when there are a large number of requirements. This occurs when someone has 1000 or more requirements. The database records return in less 2 seconds, the issue is that Reporting Services is generating 150+ HTML pages to render the report. I need to figure out how to control this to make it more responsive by not generating all of those pages. Additionally,I would like to rework the UI a bit and then create linked drill down reports for each of the work item columns. As more WIs are added, the field get really big and distorts the RTM report. I want to do something like show the last 3-4 WI/CS ID and hovering to show the set. Then clicking to get a more detailed drill-down report.
  2. I also want to redo the contribution report to add more metrics.
  3. I need to update the SharePoint Features. I took a dependency on a SharePoint-TFS assembly that was removed between TFS 2010 and 2012. A simple policy redirect assembly may take care of it but I would like to refactor to remove the dependency.
  4. I want to make the lookup of the TFS URL more robust.
  5. There are probably a bunch of little things that I have not gotten feedback on....
If you are game to contribute, let me know but I will be plugging away at it over the coming weeks.

Thanks

Brian
Oct 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Hello Brian,

I never reported this and you may already know about it. This pertains to the Requirements Traceability Report.

We have seen that most of the linked work items are duplicated to a large degree. This is seen (obviously) when the report is expanded. If you woulod like some screen shots, let me know.

I just wanted to let you know about this since you're already going to delve into it for improvement.

Thanks
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Jzerai,

I sent you a direct email on this. Please look at it and let me know what is happening as you are the first to report this.

Thanks

Brian
Oct 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Edited Oct 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Hello Brian, I do not have permissions to access that site. I am assuming I can use my Windows Live Id, the one I use for my MSN? If not, please let me know what I need to do to get in. Also, I would like to contribute where I am able. If the deployment request/approval work item is something you’re interested in including in this template, I’m definitely in for that. Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Jzerai,

Are you saying that you cannot clone the repository from the link I provided? I would not expect you to be able to get into the TF Service GovDev site as I haven't granted you access yet :). Let me know if you cannot clone the repository and what specific error messages you are getting and we will go from there.

Thanks

Brian
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM
Jzerai,

OK, I dug a bit more and found that we do not yet support public git repositories in the TF Service yet. I will need to figure out another way to expose the repository so that it can be cloned without being a member of the team project. In the meantime there are the Alpha downloads for the 2010 update and new 2012, 2013 versions.

I will get back to the community once I figure out what to do.

Thanks

Brian
Nov 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Thanks Brian

J. Mike Zserai | Senior Applications Developer

Bureau of Information Technology

Pennsylvania Department of Health
2150 Herr Street, 2nd Floor | Harrisburg, PA 17103
Phone: 717.836.3504 | Fax: 717.783-3695

www.health.state.pa.us